- 1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight, or 2 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh (from 4 ears) or frozen
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
If using dried beans, drain and place in a medium saucepot. Cover by 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 1 hour or until tender; drain.
In a large high-sided skillet or saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add cooked beans, corn, potatoes, 4 cups water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and most liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Per Serving:460 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol,550mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (13g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 18g protein
****Full disclosure: I was not paid, given free products or otherwise compensated for this post.****